Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Moses and Fear



As I wrote in yesterday’s post, Philip wanted me to teach him a lesson on facing fears over the weekend.  It just so happened that today I was leafing through Philip’s Stockade achievement book and the next activity was called “Controlling Your Fears.”  It was a lesson on Moses.  It was one of those little moments when you feel God’s smile and wink in your direction as He gifts you a little surprise.

I read Philip the story of Moses from Exodus 3 and 4.  It is the story of God calling Moses from the burning bush to send him to Pharoah to deliver the Israelites out of slavery in Egypt and into the Promised Land.  Moses was understandably intimidated by this tall order and kept coming back to God with excuses, even to the point of pleading, “O Lord, please send someone else to do it!”  

We began talking about fear as a natural part in everybody’s lives.  Fear can be good because it helps us to think before we act and avoid doing something stupid or dangerous.  But fear can be harmful if it keeps us from doing good things, including what God would want us to do.  We read from Exodus and then Philip answered the following:

When does Moses begin to be afraid? (Philip's answers in bold)
He began to be afraid when he hears God in the burning bush.  God says he was going to rescue His people.  It made him feel like he was solely responsible for all the people.  He was scared.  I am sure I would be scared too.
 
How does God comfort Moses?
God said “I will be with you.”  He is I AM.  He is timeless.  

In Exodus 4:13, why is Moses saying no to God? 
I think he is thinking he is not good enough to accomplish God’s plan too well.

What would be different if Moses trusted God?
He would be brave.

What would have happened if Moses let fear get in the way of doing God’s plan?
He would not see God’s glory.

How did God help Moses conquer his fear?
God answered Moses by letting him have Aaron to help him speak to Pharoah.  God gave him signs to show His power.  God gave His word.

What are some of your fears?
I am fearful of a hard life as an autistic.  I am tired from living in a world made for normal people.  I am tired of word spelling to talk when others get to talk normally.  I am sorely lonely.
  
I fear total elimination of autistics due to illness prevention programs.  Autism is not an illness.  It is a variation of humanness.  I do not want to be cured bc to be cured means to die.  There is too much talk about cure.  It is hurtful.  It makes me feel worthless.  It makes me feel so sad.


I fear the kind of learning most autistics get.  I am fearful that they won’t be educated to address important skills to understand the world and get a chance to communicate.  I fear they will get hurt by restraints.  I fear they will get nowhere.  No way out.  I fear they are so sad.  I fear there is no hope.  I fear they will die without a trace.  I fear they are terrified by the teachers who do not know they are smart.  Each day I yearn to help them.

How does God help you with your fears?
God helps me care about others to help them.  He works to help bring me to people who can help me.  He lead me to Soma coupled with Tracy, Harvey, and Lisa.  He answers my prayers to speak and learn.  God is my Savior and Lord.  He is always with me.  I do not have to be afraid with God.  He is my courage and strength.  I am blessed.  The end.

     

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written by a wonderful bright boy.

    Many Blessings

    ReplyDelete