Friday, April 29, 2016

My Voice




By Umberto



AUTISM IS A HARD LIFE.  MY NAME IS UMBERTO AND I HAVE SEVERE AUTISM.  I AM FIFTEEN YEARS OLD AND HAVE BEEN SILENT FOR MANY YEARS.  I FOUND MY VOICE WITH SOMA RAPID PROMPT METHOD IN DECEMBER OF 2015.  BEFORE RPM, I WAS TRAPPED INSIDE MY HEAD WITH NO WAY TO SHOW MY INTELLIGENCE TO ANYONE.

         AUTISM IS NOT AN INTELLIGENCE PROBLEM, I WAS LEARNING MY ENTIRE LIFE BUT DIDN’T HAVE THE MOTOR PLANNING TO LET ANYONE KNOW.  I TRIED SO MANY OTHER THINGS THAT DIDN’T HELP BECAUSE THEY DIDN’T FOCUS ON MOTOR PLANNING BUT ON REPETITIVE LOW LEVEL ACADEMICS.  I WAS SCARED TO TRY RPM BUT THANKFULLY MY MOTHER INSISTED AND I AM GRATEFUL SHE DID.  I NOW HAVE A VOICE AND A HOPE FOR A BETTER FUTURE.

         AUTISM IS MY LIFE.  I AM KIND.  I AM PEACEFUL.  I AM LOVING.  I AM A GOOD SON.  I AM INTELLIGENT.  I AM NOT A BEHAVIOR PROBLEM.  I AM AN EXCELLENT AUTISTIC KID WHO LOVES ALL SUBJECTS IN SCHOOL.  I AM A FRIEND TO PEOPLE WHO ARE STRUGGLING BECAUSE I UNDERSTAND WHAT IT IS LIKE TO STRUGGLE.

         I WISH ALL PEOPLE A VOICE AND A HOPE FOR A BRIGHT FUTURE.  SINCERELY - UMBERTO

Umberto started RPM four months ago and is progressing very quickly.  He is thrilled to be studying age appropriate academics and is even more excited to start transitioning to typing on a keyboard with voice output.  Since Umberto’s recent breakthrough with communication, his family is learning a lot about him.  Umberto has a very close relationship with God in which he gained his strength throughout his years of silence.  He is interested in theology, mathematics, science and writing. He has already started writing to encourage others with autism and he hopes to share more of himself as he develops his soon to be blog, Umberto’s Voice.






7 comments:

  1. I am so proud of my nephew Umberto [Donny] and his amazing mother, my sister, Eva...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, so happy to read this!!! Your momma loves you so much and not only has she helped encourage me, but you've been a big encouragement to me as well to never lose hope of helping her find a way to speak as well. I only know the mother's love and pain of seeing your child trapped in their body with no way to communicate. You're doing an GREAT job, Umberto!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mother shared with me some of of your early work with the RPM board. I can not find the appropriate words to express my joy in witnessing your breaking through this wall. Communication, or the ability to be heard is a gift that too many people take for granted. I am so proud of your faith, and the man you are becoming. Many people would be bitter to have been trapped the way that you were. I know that you've experienced frustration that I can't begin to imagine yet you didn't give up and you didn't stop loving or learning. You have a lot to teach the world about autism, about love, determination and about the different ways we see and learn. Your story will not only bring hope to many others, and I know that you will go forward to accomplish absolutely amazing things. Congratulations on your breaking out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You write very well. It can only be exciting to, finally, express so many thoughts you have

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to meet you Umberto! I look forward to hearing more from you. With love, Josie (from Australia)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Umberto, you give me hope that my beautiful grandson can accomplished what you have done. God bless you, and continue to communicate. You give a lot of people hope!
    Eddie- USA

    ReplyDelete
  7. Umberto, I am so thrilled to see you blogging your thoughts out. Congratulations on finding your voice.

    ReplyDelete